Silverlight 2 Details and Demo
Adds to Silverlight 1.0:
- More to WPF UI Framework with animations, standard controls, layout, styling/skinning (visual tree templates) and data binding.
- More network support including sockets.
- Local storage.
- High performance.
- Small Download (4.3MB), Fast Install (6 to 10 seconds) – doesn’t need full .NET framework beforehand.
Open source license for included controls.
Shipping testing framework with 2000 open source unit tests.
- Visual Studio 2008 tools for Silverlight 2.0 preview – support for Silverlight 2.0 with intellisense (XAML and code) and debugging (on Windows or to Mac)
- Expression Blend 2.5 preview – support for Silverlight 2.0
See Scott’s blog for more info.
Demo of building new AOL mail client in Silverlight:
Shows lots of control templating to show Halo skin – not much audience reaction, but good data performance (retrieval and sorting) – uses isolated storage for performance (e.g. contacts list).
Anyone else tired of seeing demos by huge corporations that build products with advertising revenue deals that only they can get?